Qualifications: Must have a high school diploma or equivalency. Prefer candidates with experience working with young children.
Hours: 12:00 - 5:30 pm (5.5 hours per day), Monday through Friday
Starting salary: $11.49 per hour
Beginning date: February 1, 2021
Closing date for application: Open until filled
To Make Application, apply online:
Early Childhood Connections
EHS Teacher Assistant
To assist teacher and share responsibilities to ensure a well-managed center. Also to provide information and support to families.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provides an open and inviting learning environment.
• Provides positive guidance to children, encouraging self-discipline and problem-solving.
• Implements lesson plans and individualized programs plans developed by teacher/coordinator.
• Works with the teacher to organize the environment to support children’s development.
• Supports children’s learning in every area of the classroom and outdoors.
• Participates in team teaching possibilities.
• Assists with on-going assessment by collecting items for children’s portfolios and writing anecdotal observations as assigned.
2. Engages and supports children and families to enhance life skills.
• Establishes and maintains rapport with families which is open, honest, and caring.
• Attends and assists with parent meetings.
• Models skills which promote healthy environments for children.
• Assists families in meeting goals including health requirements.
3. Provides a safe and healthy learning environment.
• Follows staffing pattern as assigned by teacher to ensure children’s safety.
• Performs cleaning and organizing duties as assigned.
• Assists teacher in providing positive guidance to children.
• Promotes preventative wellness.
4. Maintains an open communication system.
• Practices open communication with staff, families, and volunteers.
• Participates in school wide activities.
5. Promotes and respects the Code of Ethical Conduct as set forth by NAEYC.
• Maintains a professional manner and appearance at all times.
• Insures confidentiality
• Adheres to a mandatory reporting policy for child abuse and neglect.
6. Completes all other duties as assigned.
Scope of position:
Reports to the teacher. Receives moderate supervision from teacher and central office staff. Supervises children and volunteers. Works with 1-8 staff members and volunteers. Position requires decisions regarding duties and responsibilities. Moderate decisions need to be made related to children and families. Assumes supervision of the classroom during the absence of the teacher. Ongoing staff development is an integral part of the position.
Knowledge, skills, and technical ability:
Must have a High School Diploma or General Education Degree. Prefer candidates with experience working with young children.
Willing to certify:
• First Aid
• Child Development Associates Credential (CDA Infant-Toddler)
Must pass prior to starting position:
• TB Skin Test
• Physical Exam
• KBI Background Check
• Frequent lifting of 10-25 lbs.
• Occasional lifting & moving of 50 lbs.
• Bending, squatting, and kneeling occur frequently on a daily basis
• Fine manipulation occurs frequently
• Good communication skills including oral, written, and listening.
• Interpersonal skills working with children, volunteers, families, and community members.
• Ability to make good decisions.
• Willingness to work a flexible schedule.
• Willingness to work as a team player.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable means of transportation.
Assistants work 98% of the time in the classroom. Conditions include a high noise level and a fast-paced schedule. About 2% of the time is spent working with families or in the community. Must be able to lift, move and handle up to 50 pounds. Position requires much physical activity interacting with children and requires the ability to work in a noisy environment. Office space may be shared with other staff.
The full day, full year program consists of services being provided year-round. The classroom will be open during some days when there are normally no classes in USD 489. Days open will be established on a yearly basis.
Based on the USD 489 Paraprofessional Salary Schedule and benefit package. Compensation will be provided for non-district days worked.