Colby Community College (CCC) is accepting applications for a full-time Education Navigator. The twelve-month position begins in August 2021. The office for this position is located inside Norton Correctional Facility (NCF). The Navigator coordinates with CCC adult education and postsecondary instructors, the CCC Program Coordinator, and Kansas Department of Corrections (KDOC) staff to support resident students at NCF. Judgment, analysis, and decision-making according to established practices and procedures are necessary to perform responsibilities of the position. The Navigator must understand the importance of technology, integrity, innovative thinking, and the ability to work as a team.
- Conduct education and career assessments and record results.
- Develop Education and Employment Plans utilizing results and learner/resident interviews.
- Conduct records/transcript requests to determine eligibility and to gather information to support programming.
- Work with CCC, NCF, and KDOC staff to assist residents with enrollment in educational programming that aligns with the Education and Employment Plan.
- Provide case management services for students to promote education program completion aligning with the Education and Employment Plan.
- Work with students and collaboratively with KDOC, NCF, and CCC staff to promote seamless transitions between levels of educational programming.
- Provide students support/guidance with CCC admissions, program entry requirements, and financial aid.
- Provide student coaching to maximize course completion and overall success.
- Serve as a liaison between students and CCC support services and the CCC financial aid department.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records, logs, and data on each student.
- Work with instructors, administrators, and staff to ensure the needs of resident students are met and to mitigate barriers to education.
- Provide students with education and employment counseling
- Assist students with job placement activities, including job searches, job applications, resumes, cover letters, and interviews.
- Track students post-release to monitor progress, assess needs, and collect data.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills.
- Maintain strict confidentiality as outlined by FERPA guidelines.
- The ability to work alone and in groups to provide services.
- Maintain professional relationships with residents and their families.
- Assume responsibility for individual professional growth by staying current with literature, research, best practices, CCC professional development requirements, and KDOC training requirements.
- Follow all safety requirements as directed by the KDOC.
- Support the mission, goals, and objectives of CCC and the KDOC.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associate degree required.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Experience in adult education, career technical/vocational education, counseling, criminal justice, or related fields preferred.
$36,500 per year.
Flexible benefits program that includes options for single and family health and dental coverage, life insurance, reimbursement accounts, sick leave, and vacation leave allowances. Participation in the state retirement program is required.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
- Energetic, able to relate to students and community partners.
- Innovative and ready to look for new options and ideas.
- The ability to work effectively with diverse populations of students, staff, faculty, alumni, and friends of the college.
- The ability to work independently as well as with a team.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Willing to attend necessary professional development (often online).
The priority deadline July 23, but open until filled. To be considered for this position, send a letter of application, resume, references, and all postsecondary transcripts to:
Colby Community College
ATTN: Human Resources
1255 S Range Ave
Colby, KS 67701
Materials may be mailed to hr(at)colbycc.edu.
Colby Community College provides equality of opportunity to its applicants for admission, enrolled students, graduates, and employees. The College does not discriminate with respect to hiring, continuation of employment, promotion, tenure, other employment practices, application for admission or career services and placement on the basis of race, color, gender, age, disability, national origin or ancestry, sexual orientation or religion. For inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies: Human Resources Office, 1255 South Range Ave., Colby, KS 67701. (785) 460-5406. hr(at)colbycc.edu
Candidates identifying as a qualified person with a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act and who would like to request accommodations should contact Human Resources.
The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
Visa Sponsorship is not available for this position. The candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.