**APPLY ONLINE: https://www.applitrack.com/haysusd489/onlineapp/ **
Behavior Support Assistant
Reports To: Westside Licensed Staff
Terms of Employment:
9 months; $15/hour. 7.5 Hours Each Day. Follows the special education paraeducator work calendar.
The job of the Behavior Support Assistant is done for the purpose of providing support to the instructional program with specific responsibility for supervising students assigned to Westside Alternative School; documenting student behavior; and providing information to teachers and/or other personnel
- High School Diploma
- Experience working with students with social emotional needs
Physical Requirements: (The candidate may be required to use the below requirements during any part of the working day.)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, sit, talk, and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The employee is required to interact with staff and to meet demands from several people.
- Communicates with supervising instructional staff and professional support personnel for the purpose of assisting in academic progress and/or implementing IEP objectives.
- Implements under the supervision of assigned teacher, behavioral plans designed by the IEP team for students with behavior disorders or other special conditions for the purpose of presenting and/or reinforcing learning concepts.
- Intervenes in potential conflicts utilizing appropriate physical and/or therapeutic approaches for the purpose of diffusing confrontations and minimizing disruptions.
- Models conversation, manners, listening, and everyday interactions for the purpose of demonstrating appropriate social behavior in a culturally sensitive manner.
- Monitors students during assigned periods for the purpose of providing a safe and positive learning environment.
- Performs other supervisory/security responsibilities as determined by the supervising administrator and the Westside schedule for the purpose of providing a safe and optimal learning environment.
- Performs general record keeping and clerical functions for the purpose of supporting the teacher and/or supervisory staff in meeting mandated requirements.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the school.
- Provides verbal and/or written feedback of observations for the purpose of informing teachers and/or parents of students' progress.
- Remains with students at all times for the purpose of providing for the safety of students and deescalating situations outside the classroom.
- Reports problems directly to the supervising administrator for the purpose of maintaining personal safety of students, providing a positive learning environment and adhering to administrative and/or school policies.
- Supports students' social emotional needs through group activities that are planned by the supervising teacher or school mental health therapist.
Application of Knowledge, and Abilities
- Specific knowledge-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: behavior and crisis management techniques; instruction techniques; knowledge of board policy, district, state and federal regulations/laws.
- Ability is required to schedule activities; collect data; and use basic, job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others in a variety of circumstances; work with data utilizing specific, defined processes; and operate equipment using defined methods. Problem solving is required to identify issues. Specific ability-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: maintaining confidentiality; working with frequent interruptions; communicating in a positive, nonthreatening manner; and building effective relationships.
Performance of this position will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the board policy on evaluation of classified personnel.
The performance responsibilities are not limited to those outlined in this description and may include any other responsibilities as assigned by the administrator/supervisor.