Building Lead Custodian
Full Time. 12 month position. $18.83/hr
• Full District Paid Single Medical and Dental Coverage
• Free Annual Eye Exams with Medical Coverage
• Ancillary and Voluntary offerings include Vision Materials Coverage
• District Paid Basic Life Insurance, Voluntary Life
• Short Term Disability, Accident, Critical Illness, Identify Theft Insurance
• Flexible Spending options for Medical Expenses and Dependent Day Care
• District contribution to Health Saving Account
• District contribution to 403b retirement plan in addition to KPERS - State of Kansas Retirement
• Paid Time Off
Purpose: The lead custodian is responsible for assuring the standard of safety and cleanliness of building and area.
Building Lead is responsible to Director of Buildings and Head Custodian.
1. Must have high school diploma or equivalency.
2. Experience preferred.
3. Good physical condition.
4. Must have current Kansas driver’s license and a good driving record.
5. Ability to work with minimal supervision.
6. Available to work overtime, weekends for school functions, or in the event of emergencies or severe weather conditions.
7. Desire to increase job skills.
8. Maintain a neat and clean appearance.
9. Be dependable, polite, and cooperative.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Perform daily and weekly tasks as outlined by district or school operating procedures or as directed by the director of buildings and grounds.
2. Liaison of building activities with the building administrators.
3. Supervise custodians assigned to building.
4. Actively participate in all training provided by the district.
5. Follow proper safety procedures in the use of chemicals and equipment.
6. Promote individual safety, proper safety procedures, and safe working environment for all employees.
7. Report immediately to the director of buildings and grounds any possible safety hazards at the building site.
8. Keep personal custodial closet(s) and equipment safe, clean, neat and orderly on a daily basis and ensure that all custodians under his/her supervision do so also.
9. Assist in selection, scheduling and training of custodial staff assigned to building.
10. Tour building and grounds daily.
11. Perform quality control inspections to ensure regular on-going cleanliness of all areas in the facility.
12. Order supplies and equipment in a timely manner to maintain inventory levels.
13. Ensure physical security of building – secure and monitor doors and windows.
14. Ensure proper pick up of trash and litter from campus and emptying of trash containers on a daily basis.
15. Report immediately to the director of buildings and grounds any mechanical or electrical problems.
16. Be courteous and tactful in dealing with teachers, students, parents, and other patrons and assist them when requested.
17. Be careful in handling personal property of staff while cleaning.
18. Assist with set-up/take down of equipment as needed for scheduled activities.
19. Serve as a support to activities/persons utilizing the facilities and promote positive relations with public entities.
20. Ensure that all district policies are observed at all times.
21. Turn in any misplaced personal articles or equipment to the main office.
22. Maintain close communication with district head custodian and other lead custodians. Work well with others. Play a supporting role with district maintenance crew.
23. Other duties as assigned by the director of buildings and grounds.
Marginal Job Functions:
1. Remove snow from entry areas and sidewalks.
2. Assist with minor building improvements such as painting.
3. Other duties as time and need permits.
Special Physical Requirements:
1. Requires working in confined spaces.
2. Requires prolonged standing and working on one’s feet.
3. Requires moving, lifting, carrying, pulling or pushing heavy objects or materials of up to and not more than 50 lbs.
4. Requires frequent squatting, kneeling, crawling, bending, reaching, shoveling, and twisting.
5. Requires climbing and balancing on stairs and ladders.
6. Must work in noisy and crowded areas.
7. Must work around dust, chemicals, fumes, odors, dirt, grease/oil, and acid.
8. Must work with equipment that vibrates when in use.
9. Must be able to properly clean body spills including blood, urine, and vomit with respect to district bloodborne pathogen policy.
10. Must pass physical assessment before hiring as required by the district.
1. The employee shall remain free of any alcohol or non-prescribed controlled substance abuse in the workplace throughout his/her employment in the district.
2. The employee shall serve as a role model for students in how to conduct themselves as citizens and as responsible, intelligent human beings.
Term of Employment:
1. At will.
2. Regular attendance is required of all employees subject to allowed leave in accordance with district policy.
3. Selected candidate must pass background check.
4. Selected candidate must provide health and inoculation certificate.
1. Performance effectiveness evaluated in accordance with provisions of Kansas Statutes and USD 489 Board of Education policy.
2. Evaluation will be the responsibility of the director of buildings and grounds along with input from head custodian and their building administration.