Unified School District No. 489
Part Time Summer Help
Purpose: Responsible for maintaining, cleaning, and disinfecting all areas of a facility. Perform basic cleaning and sanitation of an assigned building including sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, dusting, polishing, trash removal, etc. Provide high level customer service for school events and community activities including set-up/clean-up.
Responsible to: Building Custodian and Head Custodian as directed by the Director of Buildings and Grounds.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience preferred, but not necessary (we provide comprehensive training).
- Good physical condition.
- Must be able to provide own transportation to and from the work site.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and maintain a high level of performance.
- Available to work overtime, and some weekends for school functions and other non-school functions, or in the event of emergencies or severe weather conditions.
- Desire to increase job skills.
- Maintain a neat and clean appearance.
- Be dependable, polite, and cooperative.
- Ability to understand chemical labels.
- Prioritization and time management skills
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for cleanliness of an assigned primary area or specific job function building wide.
- Perform daily and weekly tasks as outlined by district or school operating procedures or as directed by the building custodian.
- Taking proper care in the use of equipment and supplies.
- Be courteous and tactful in dealing with teachers, students, parents, and other patrons and assist them when requested.
- Be careful in handling personal property of staff while cleaning.
- Securing exterior doors.
- Assist with set-up/take down of equipment as needed for scheduled activities or non-school activities.
- Serve as a support to activities/persons utilizing the facilities and promote positive relations with public entities.
- Ensure that all district policies are observed at all times.
- Return any misplaced personal articles or equipment to the building custodian’s office.
- Report any and all maintenance problems and/or deficiencies to the building custodian as soon as possible.
- Maintain close communication with building custodian. Work well with others.
- Take initiative as needed to ensure the safety and cleanliness of the building.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintain security of job-related keys
Marginal Job Functions:
- May be asked to help with snow removal around entry areas.
- Other duties as time and need permits.
Special Physical Requirements:
- Requires working in confined spaces.
- Requires prolonged standing and working on one’s feet.
- Requires moving, lifting, carrying, pulling or pushing heavy objects or materials of up to and not more than 50 lbs.
- Requires frequent squatting, kneeling, crawling, bending, reaching, shoveling, and twisting.
- Requires climbing and balancing on stairs and ladders.
- Must work in noisy and crowded areas.
- Must work around dust, chemicals, fumes, odors, dirt, grease/oil.
- Must work with equipment that vibrates when in use.
- Must be able to properly clean body spills including blood, urine, and vomit with respect to district bloodborne pathogen policy.
- Must pass physical assessment before hiring as required by the district.
- The employee shall remain free of any alcohol or non-prescribed controlled substance abuse in the workplace throughout his/her employment in the district.
- The employee shall serve as a role model for students in how to conduct themselves as citizens and as responsible, intelligent human beings.
Term of Employment:
- At will.
- Regular attendance is required of all employees subject to allowed leave in accordance with district policy.
- Selected candidate must pass background check.
- The selected candidate must provide a health and inoculation certificate.
- Performance effectiveness evaluated in accordance with provisions of Kansas Statutes and USD 489 Board of Education policy.
- Evaluation will be the responsibility of the building custodian, head custodian.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees in this job.
Apply Online At: