Qualifications: Must have a high school diploma or equivalency. Must have computer knowledge and experience. Excellent organizational skills are required.
Hours: 8 hours per day, 7:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, 12 months per year
Starting salary: $12.08 per hour + benefits
Beginning date: As soon as possible
Priority application date: December 5th, 2018.
Job Description: See below
To Make Application, apply online:
Amy Beckman, Payroll Coordinator
Unified School District No. 489
323 West 12th St.
Hays, Kansas 67601
Purpose: The assistant provides support to ensure accurate accounting of payroll. To accomplish this, the assistant must work closely with staff and administration of the district.
Responsible to: Payroll Coordinator
1. Must have high school diploma or equivalency.
2. Must have knowledge of computer usage and application.
3. Prior payroll experience preferred, but not required.
4. Must be able to follow oral and written direction.
5. Must have the capacity to grasp and adjust to new and changing situations.
6. Must possess excellent communication and organizational skills.
7. Must be organized, self-directed, and cooperative.
8. Must maintain confidentiality in all aspects of job performance.
9. Must be courteous, helpful, and willing to be inconvenienced in order to get the job done.
10. Must have the ability to communicate and work effectively and cooperatively with members of the school district and community.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Responsible for requesting and checking timesheets to correspond with contracts and work agreements.
2. Responsible for calculating and entering extra and overtime hours. Must have the ability to accurately proof data.
3. Able to assist with various payroll procedures on the Alio system.
4. Proficient on Word and Excel. Must be a “detail” individual.
5. Responsible to obtain and file payroll personnel forms.
6. Assist with payment of bills from payroll deductions.
7. Assist with walk-ins and incoming phone calls regarding payroll and insurance questions.
8. Assist with leave program and coordinate with monthly timesheets.
9. Assist with preparing payroll checks for distribution to employees.
10. Assist with the process and distribution of W-2’s for each employee.
11. Assist with other duties as assigned by the payroll coordinator.
Marginal Job Functions:
1. Assisting with organizing and preparing for the “new employee” orientation.
2. Willing to attend workshops to keep current on new payroll and finance regulations.
3. Cross-train with other staff in performing payroll duties.
4. Provide telephone backup for the office as scheduled.
5. Clean break room as scheduled.
Special Physical Requirements:
1. Must be able to sit at a work station most of an eight hour day.
2. Must have manual dexterity for continual computer input.
3. Must be able to occasionally move, lift, carry, pull, or push heavy materials.
4. Occasionally work with numerous interruptions.
1. The employee must observe and follow all school district policies at all times.
2. The employee shall remain free of any alcohol or non-prescribed controlled substance abuse in the workplace throughout his/her employment in the district.
Terms of Employment:
1. At will.
2. Regular attendance is required of all employees subject to allowed leave in accordance with district policy.
3. Selected candidate must pass background check.
4. Selected candidate must provide health and inoculation certificate.
1. Performance effectiveness evaluated in accordance with provisions of Kansas Statutes and USD 489 Board of Education policy.
2. Evaluation will be the responsibility of the Payroll Coordinator.