Information, for you, on how to spot a scam so you don’t waste time
communicating with these people or worse, lose money!
If you have any questions regarding the buying or selling of an item, please, don't hesitate
to contact our support team.
Do's and Don'ts
- Do: Deal in cash.
- Do: Communicate via the site's messaging system.
- Do: Buy/Sell face to face.
- Do: Meet at a public location (gas station, parking lot, etc.).
- Do: Report questionable listings or conversations on the site.
- Don't: Provide your email or phone number in your listing's details.
- Don't: Communicate directly via email or text message.
- Don't: Add your phone number to a listing if you aren't 100%
comfortable with the solicitations.
- Don't: Ship your item, unless you are 100% confident.
Scam Spotting Tips
- As a buyer you may get the typical “you can pay the
shipping company” comment. This is a scam and
don’t deal with them at all.
- Buyers requesting to pay with a cashier’s check, Western Union, Money Gram, or money
orders and potentially drawn from banks other than their location.
- Communication where the buyer’s location, e-mail, or phone
number changes during the process.
- A buyer requests the item for sale be shipped somewhere other than their location.
- If it is too good to be true.... IT IS!
An email example received by users:
Hello Seller Thank you for your reply to my question about
your item. I’m okay with the final price as well and i will like to make an instant
purchase,So please do withdraw the advert from the site.I
don’t mind adding an extra $40 dollars for you to take the
advert down from the site so that i can be rest assured that
am in hand of the item,But Please bear in mind that you are
not to bother yourself about the shipping of the item okay ?
I have already arrange with my agent company that
will be coming over for the pickup of the item immediately
you receive the personal check/Money Order cos i still have
some pending item to pick up at the same time with yours,so
the payment that will be send will include the cost of the
shipping charges and cost of your item .So I will need you to
provide me with the following information to facilitate the
mailing of the check..
- Your full Name that will be written on the payment.
- Your Contact address to mail out the payment,
- Your phone number to contact
- Your last price of the item.
Once again ,I will like you to know that you will not be responsible
for shipping.I will have my mover come over as soon as you have
cashed the check
Hope this is clear to you ?
A direct text message example sent to a user: